Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Infertility Journey: Part 2

You can read Part 1 of my infertility journey Here.
 
 
 
After I got the news that having children naturally would be almost impossible I contacted a family member who I knew was diagnosed with infertility as well. I talked briefly with my cousin in law, Katie, to compare our situations. We had a ton of similarities but also a few differences. Talking with her was such a relief. I knew nothing about infertility or anyone who really had it. So, my mind was put at ease. She was getting ready to move to the area from Dallas and had already researched Reproductive Endocrinologist close to us. My husband and I decided to make an appointment just to get more information. When you are in this situation you are scared and nervous on what to expect.
 
My doctor, Dr Miller was such a blessing. He talked to us and explained every detail on why we were diagnosed with infertility and what it meant for us in growing our family. He would not let us leave until we had no more questions for him. I loved that he took his time with us instead of pushing us out in 20 min.
 
He said I did not fit the diagnosis of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) but that I had characteristics of it. You can read about PCOS Here 
We left thinking that we were just going to get information. I honestly had no intention of starting medications, having weekly ultrasounds and blood work. But Dr. Miller said if we wanted a baby sooner than later we would have to start treatments. We went home to discuss what we thought was best for us but it didn’t take long for us to decide that we wanted the blessing of being parents.
 
The first thing Dr. Miller wanted to do was blood work.  All of my hormones came back at a 1.7 which was normal but said he has seen improved fertility if the hormones were at a 1 or lower.  He started me on levothyroxine and progesterone to lower my hormones and prescribed Provera to help start my cycle.  He also prescribed Femara (which is a breast cancer drug and has been proven to help with infertility) to help me have an increase in egg (follicle) production.
 
After being on the medicine for a few weeks, I went for my first ultrasound to check on my lining and to see how many perfect follicles have formed.  My lining was perfect and I had two mature follicles. Everything seemed to be in alignment and I felt so confident that we would have a positive pregnancy test on the first month that we saw Dr. Miller.
 
We did not get the positive that we hoped for.  I was not upset.  Not heartbroken.  Not discouraged.  I knew my Dr. Miller and his team were doing everything they could to help my husband and I have that family we were dreaming of.
 
I was hopeful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment